Sites on the Pitt Meadows Heritage Register

A Heritage Register is a list of properties and sites with qualities or characteristics that are recognized as significant and contribute to the City's heritage.  Placement on the Heritage Register requires a thorough evaluation of the building or site along with any other photographs or documentation, and archival research.  Adding any building, structure or feature to the Heritage Register, as well as its removal, requires Council approval.


The following sites are on the Pitt Meadows Heritage Register:

 

p Hoffmann & Son Garage.jpg

 

 

p Caretaker property 03.JPG

Hoffmann & Son (museum and park caretakers house)

12265 Harris Road

Ladislaus Hoffmann came to Pitt Meadows from Austria (via Aldergrove) in 1933.   The existing garage was built in 1936, and the Hoffmanns operated a machine shop and later a drainage business from this building.   Their son, Hans Hoffmann, was the first Fire Chief, built Pitt Meadows' first fire truck and allowed his building to be used as the town's first fire hall.   Typical of family-operated businesses, the Hoffmann's house is located on the property next to the shop.  At the back of the site is a Quonset Hut, placed on the property in 1956 for the storage of large machinery related to the Hoffman's drainage and ditching business.  

 

In 1999, Hans Hoffmann and his sister Elfriede, donated the property, building, equipment and a vintage engine collection to the Pitt Meadows Museum Society, and in 2002, the family home was donated to the municipality to be used as a caretakers residence.  Behind the workshop, land donated by the family is now called HoffmanPark, preserving a stand of old trees, which has become a community landmark.  

 

This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Click here.

 

p old rec. hall 04.jpg

 

Pitt Meadows Heritage Hall

12460 Harris Road

This building served as the municipal hall from 1931 until the early 1970's, replacing a single-storey structure that burned down in 1930.  It housed the municipal offices on the ground floor and a large community hall on the second floor.  After the municipal offices were moved to the new location, the building was upgraded for new uses.  Today, the Ridge Meadows Parks and Leisure Services Department oversees the hall.  

 

This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Click here.

DPM-13074-harris_4356.jpg

 

Blaney House

13074 Harris Road

This building, constructed between 1908 -1909, was home to John Blaney, the first Reeve of Pitt Meadows after its incorporation in 1914.  This house was built at a time when Pitt Meadows was developing rapidly as an agricultural town after the construction of the diking system allowed farming in the northern part of the District to flourish.

 

This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Click here.

DPM_HIR-13414-Harris_5122.jpg

 

Pitt Meadows School House

13414 Harris Road

Built circa 1927, this former one-room rural school house is the most intact of the three early twentieth century schools that remain in Pitt Meadows.  The school design reflects educational guidelines set out by the provincial government.  Typical of small rural schools, children of different ages were all taught in the same room.  

 

This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Click here.

DPM-14776-harris_4363.jpg

 

 

von Alvensleben House

14776 Harris Road

This house is associated with Alvo von Alvensleben, who owned substantial amounts of property in Pitt Meadows before World War I.  He moved from Germany to Vancouver in 1904 and became in involved in numerous promotional business deals and was very successful for a few years.   He returned to Germany after the economic crash of 1913, but was refused re-entry after the outbreak of war in 1914.   He moved to Seattle and lived there until his death in 1963.   Built in around 1912, this house was never occupied by von Alvensleben; likely it was constructed as a caretakers residence.

 

This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Click here.

DPM-1341-lougheed_4406.jpg

Park Residence

19341 Lougheed Highway

The Park Residence is a well-preserved example of 1920's architecture.  Built in 1929, it is associated with William James Park. Park was one of the signatories of the petition that created Pitt Meadows and he became its first clerk when the municipality was incorporated in 1914.  He was elected reeve many times.  The Park Residence is distinct for its picturesque building style, known as Period Revival.  Until recently sold, it was continuously owned by the Park family.

 

This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.   Click here.

17306 ford rd.jpg Mostrenko Residence and Barn
17305 Ford Road Detour
This modest but well-detailed house was built as the family home of Walter Mostrenko, a Ukrainian immigrant who also built many homes in Pitt Meadows.  Modest in its Craftsman style and detailing, the house has survived in substantially original condition and is surrounded by mature trees.
18389 ford rd.jpg

Harold Sutton Residence
18389 Ford Road
Built in the 1940s, this was the family home of Harold Sutton, the son of Albert and Anne Sutton, who settled the farm adjacent to this property.  The house was built and designed by Walter Mostrenko, a local contractor, and it is typical of Period Revival homes built between the two World Wars.

18485 ford rd.jpg

                         

Sutton Residence and Outbuildings

18485 Ford Road

Albert and Anne Sutton, early settlers in Pitt Meadows, acquired a 70-acre farm property and built several buildings on it in 1910. Albert was a dairy farmer and served as school trustee for several years and also as a District Councilor.  The Sutton Farm includes a farm house and several wood-frame buildings that represent a typical farmstead from the early twentieth century in Pitt Meadows.  

  19963 mcneil rd.jpg

Menzies Residence

19963 McNeil Road
The Menzies Residence was constructed around 1910 on the property's high ground. Mixed highland / lowland areas allowed homes, barns and outbuildings to be built beyond the reach of flood waters, while providing grazing land for livestock most of the year.  This house was constructed for William Menzies, and his wife Mary. William Menzies worked as a farmer and a carpenter, and lived in the house until the 1940's.  

19740 mcneil rd.jpg 

McElhinney Residence

19740 McNeil Road

From 1920 to 1945, this property was owned by Olonzo Patten McElhinney, who likely also built this house in the 1920's.  He was born in 1880 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, pioneered on BowenIsland, and was fluent in Coast Salish.  

This building is typical of modest farm buildings in the area.   

royal oak tree.jpg Royal Oak Tree
12460 Harris Road
Royal Oak Trees are valued for their ties to the monarchy of the Commonwealth and as a commemoration of the coronation on May 12, 1937 of English King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.  This specimen tree was planted by Reeve William James Park.  Prominently located the tree stands adjacent to the old Pitt Meadows Municipal Hall illustrating the importance of this area to Pitt Meadows as its historic centre.
19981 richardson rd.jpg 

DelReo Farm

19981 Richardson Road

After the end of World War II, a hunting lodge was built on this property by Victor J. Creeden, the General Manager of the Hedley Mascot Gold Mine Company. Creeden lived in Shaughnessey, and established this as his vacation home, which he called “The Old Shoot”.  After he passed away in 1963, and per his wishes, his ashes were scattered by plane over the beloved “Old Shoot”.  In 1957, the new owner, Buster Bains, built the barns to accommodate a dairy operation.  

12417 193B St 

Anderson Park Residence

12417 193B Street 

Built in 1914 for William James Park and his family, the house was originally located on a much larger parcel that was split due to construction of Lougheed Highway in 1930.  The house was moved by horses to its current location.  It is wood-frame with a gabled roof and projecting front porch.

City of Pitt Meadows
Pitt Polder Pump Station
This pumping station reflects the importance of diking systems to its main industry of agriculture and the growth of Pitt Meadows as a community and as an essential source of the community's pride and identity since the 1950s.  The Pumping Station is further valued for its association with Holland based manufacturers, Stork Brothers and Company, which was founded in Hengelo, the eastern Netherlands, in 1868.  It is significant for its continuous use since the structure was built in 1952.
Codd Island Wetlands
The Codd Island Wetlands are valued as the last remaining undiked floodplain wetlands within the Alouette River watershed, and are significant as a vital ecosystem.  The topography of the wetlands is comprised of floodplain and highlands, which includes a coniferous and deciduous forest.  Undiked and unfarmed, the wetlands serve as a tangible reminder of Pitt Meadows before its agricultural settlement began in the 1880s.