Protected Properties on the Pitt Meadows Heritage Register

Properties listed on the Pitt Meadows Heritage Register may also become protected heritage properties.  Properties may become protected on a voluntary basis through an agreement between an owner and the City or on an initiative of Council.  Council initiated by-laws are mainly directed toward public lands or buildings, City roads and institutional buildings such as churches, school, and community halls.  Guidelines apply for the maintenance and alteration of heritage buildings or heritage features.  Not all properties or building would necessarily have the same guidelines or requirements.  A notice is registered on title for protected properties.

The following are Protected Properties in Pitt Meadows:

GenstoreThumb.jpg

Pitt Meadows General Store and Post Office (Pitt Meadows Museum)

12294 Harris Road

Built in 1885, this building was moved to its present location by a team of horses to be closer to the CPR line in 1908, and helped to establish Harris Road as the commercial core of the town.  The building changed ownership several times and was purchased by William Struthers in 1921.  The building was used as a general store until 1931, when the general store was relocated to another building.  The house was used as a residence for several years and then fell into disrepair.  The City of Pitt Meadows purchased the building in 1997 and undertook its restoration.   It is now home to the Pitt Meadows Heritage and Museum Society.

 

This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Click here.

PM-12229-harris_4427.jpg

Struthers Residence
12229 Harris Road
William Struthers Jr., his parents and his wife, Maggie Cutler operated the Pitt Meadows General Store and Post Office on Harris Road.  He worked as a general merchant until 1955 and lived in this house (built in 1931) until his death in 1970.  The Struthers' family continued to own the property until it was sold to the City of Pitt Meadows in 1994.

 
This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.  Click here.

DPM-12109-Harris_5101.jpg

PittMeadowsCommunityChurch

12109 Harris Road

Built in 1910 and still in active church use, this is an example of an early B.C. Mills Timber and Trading Company prefabricated building, and is a rare surviving example of a church built using this system.  The interior retains many original features such as tongue-and-groove wooden cladding on the walls and ceiling, paneled doors and fir flooring.  The elaborate early pews were salvaged from a church in Vancouver. 


This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.  Click here.

JaprestThumb.jpg

McMyn/Masson Residence

19175 122nd Avenue

Built in 1909, this farmhouse was originally located on the McMyn Farm, at the corner of Park Road and Bonson Road.  The house was originally owned by John McMyn and his wife, Margaret.  The Masson family purchased the home in 1931 and resided there for over sixty years.  Moved in 1995 to its current site and adapted for use as a restaurant, this house a fine example of a B.C. Mills Timber and Trading Company prefabricated structure.  


This property is listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places. Click here.