Business Licenses & Application
The primary objectives of the Business Licensing Service are:
- to promote safe and legitimate business premises and operations in the City of Pitt Meadows
- to provide initial advice for new businesses
- to process business license applications with regards to local and any other regulatory requirements that may be applicable
- to maintain an up to date database on existing businesses in the Community
When is a Business License Required?
Every business in the City of Pitt Meadows is required to have a valid business license before commencing operations. This includes home-based businesses, commercial and industrial establishments, and owners of apartment rental properties. Business licenses are also required for businesses that are not located in the community but do work in it. For example; contractors and trades persons.
Applying for a Business License
The City's Business Licensing Bylaw authorizes the Municipal License Inspector to receive applications and issue all business licenses. The Inspector receives advice from other municipal staff from various department factions upon review of an application. These departments include Planning, Engineering, Building, Fire, Police, and Health.
The steps for obtaining a business license are as follows:
- Visit the Development Services Department at the Municipal Hall for initial consultation
- Fill out an Application Form and provide any supporting documentation, such as a one page description of the proposed business
- Business licensing will refer the application to staff in Planning, Police, Fire, Building, Engineering or Health where applicable, for review
- If the premises require alteration or improvements to meet Building Code requirements for the type of occupancy proposed, a building and/or other permit will be required prior to approval of the business license. Once a permit is obtained, the construction may proceed subject to inspection at various stages and approval to proceed being granted.
- If approval is received from applicable departments, the business license will be issued and payment of the required fee will be required.
For sub-contractors working in Pitt Meadows, download and submit the Subcontractor Business License Application Form.
Generally the business license process takes less than one week from initial application to issuance of a business license. If tenant improvements or other interior changes to a building are necessary, this process will take more time. For licensing requiring provincial endorsement (e.g. Motor Vehicle Dealer Act, Community Care Facilities Licensing Act or the Liquor Control Act), special provisions apply.
Business License Fees
Business license fees vary based on the type of business. Please review the fee schedule found in Bylaw No.2643, 2014 (Schedule A) for details. Business license fees are pro-rated after August of each year.
All business licenses expire on December 31st of each year. Notifications of business license renewals are mailed out in December. An administrative fee in the amount of 25% of the applicable license fees, to a maximum of $50.00, shall be applied to the renewal of all business licenses paid on or after March 1st of the year.
In 2013, Intermunicipal Business Licenses were introduced in the Fraser Valley. For an additional $250*, eligible mobile businesses can be licensed to work in all 9 participating municipalities.
- City of Pitt Meadows
- City of Maple Ridge
- City of Abbotsford
- City of Chilliwack
- City of Langley
- Township of Langley
- District of Hope
- District of Mission
- City of Surrey
*Specific Municipality Requirements May Apply
What is an eligible Mobile Business?
A trades contractor or other professional (related to the construction industry) that provides a service or product outside of their fixed and/or permanent address.
Please visit the Intermunicipal Business License Program for more information, or contact Lesley Elchuk, Bylaw & License Officer at 604-465-2445.
The following tips may assist you with your business license application:
- Before signing a lease or purchase agreement, check with the Development Services Department at the Municipal Hall to make sure that you can occupy the premises for the type of business for which you are applying.
- Before you purchase a sign for your business, review the requirements of the Sign Bylaw with the Planning Department.
- Each space in a building has its own specific approved use in accordance with the Building Code and Municipal Parking Requirement. Sometimes the use of that space cannot be changed without approval and/or permit.