Do I Need A Permit?
Reasons for needing a Building Permit
The following Building Inspection Guide is to be used as a guide only and not as a substitute for City Bylaws.
Click here to view the permits and forms page.
You will need a permit when you wish to:
- Build any kind of structure larger that 10 sq. metres
- Make alterations, renovations, and repairs to existing buildings/structures
- Construct a swimming pool
- Finish a previously unfinished area (ie. Basement)
- Close in a carport to a garage
- Demolish a building
- Install a new wood stove
- Change a use or occupancy of a building
- Repair a building damaged by fire, flood earthquake or other cause
- Retaining walls which retain more than 1.5 metres of fill
Permits are not required for non-structural minor modifications such as:
- Perimeter hedges
Note: Although the above work does not require permits, homeowners should ensure that the construction conforms to the requirements of the Provincial Building Code and applicable City of Pitt Meadows Bylaws.
Things you should know when planning your project:
- Check the zoning of the property to ensure your intended use is permitted.
- Check the required setbacks from the property lines and the maximum site coverage permitted.
- Check with the Engineering Department for location and depth of services, i.e., water, storm, and sanitary sewer.
- Check for easements or right-of-way on your property
Questions pertaining to a building site may be answered by contacting the departments below:
Municipal Services, Culverts and Roads
Zoning, Land Use
How do I get an Electrical or Gas Permit?
You must contact BC Gas & Electrical Inspection at 604-927-2041 for permits and inspections. The City of Pitt Meadows does not provide this.