Permit Applications

How do I obtain a building permit? 



Apply in person or by representative with a completed permit application form to:

Building Inspector 
12007 Harris Road,
Pitt Meadows

Monday thru Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm


A completed permit application form is required, as are copies of plans showing, where applicable:

  • Site plan
  • Elevations
  • Floor plan
  • Cross sections

In addition, we may require:

  • Home Owner Protection Office ( registration form for new homes
  • Strata Council permission (when applicable)
  • Drawings are also required (Samples of drawings can be supplied upon request)


Two fully detailed sets of plans drawn to scale are required to be submitted at the time of application, plans must contain sufficient detail to allow any competent person to construct the building or addition.

Two complete sets of drawings are to include:

Site Plan
scale 1/16" or 1/20" (1:200 metric)
Legal description
Size of site and adjoining street names 
Size and location, including required yard set back from all property lines of buildings, proposed buildings or additions including accessory buildings

Floor Plans
scale in 1/4" = 1' (1:150 metric)
All rooms and use of each room
Size of each room
Size of windows and doors
All plumbing fixtures 
All outside dimensions
Structural details i.e.: joist size and spacing, size of beams and columns
Total area of building

scale 1/8" = 1' or 1:100 metric
Full views of front, rear and both sides of the building including additions
Exterior finish details i.e.: materials used
Sundeck addition requires railing details i.e.: height and type of construction

Cross Section
Scale of 1/4" = 1' (1:50 metric)
Showing method of construction 
Showing structural and other pertinent details

Building Permits will be issued following approval of plans, location, zoning, water and sewer connections, etc., and upon receipt of permit fees.

 Back to Top


Every permit is issued upon the condition that the permit shall expire and the rights of the owner under the permit shall terminate if:

  • The work authorized by the permit is not commenced with 6 months from the date of issuance of the permit, or
  • The work is discontinued for a period of 12 months.


How long does it take to get a Building Permit?

It is recommended that you apply for a building permit a minimum of two weeks before the start of the project. You will be telephoned immediately when your permit is ready.

When is a Building Permit Considered Complete?

A building permit is complete when all aspects of the plan submitted for the permit has been completed. In the case of a new building, an Occupancy Permit will be issued when all inspections are complete and satisfactory, and once all survey certificates and engineer's reports (if applicable) and your sub-trades list for business license compliance are submitted.

 Back to Top

What will my building permit cost?

Fees payable for the issuance of permit for the erection, addition, alteration, repair, removal or demolition of any building or structure or part thereof shall be as follows:

Minimum Building Permit Fee $50.00
Commercial, Industrial & Institutional
($10.00 per $1000.)
1.0% of construction value
Residential, including garages, carports & patios 1.0% of construction value
($10.00 per $1000.)
Farm Buildings .7% of construction value
($7.00 per $1000.)
Single-wide mobile or modular home $100.00
Double-wide mobile or modular home $200.00
New Wood Burning Appliance $100.00
Move a Building $100.00
Change of Occupancy $100.00 plus 0.7% of construction value ($7.00 per $1000.)
Multiple inspection or off-hour inspections $100.00

All Plumbing and Fire Sprinkler work is included with the building permit fee.

How do I get an electrical or gas permit?

You must contact the B.C. Safety Authority for permits and inspections.  The City of Pitt Meadows does not issue gas or electrical permits.


For further information, please contact the Building Department at 604.465.2428 or by fax at 604.465.2404.

 Back to Top