Secondary Suites and Garden Suites

Secondary Suites & Garden Suites

Secondary suites and garden suites are permitted in Pitt Meadows, as regulated in the Zoning Bylaw No. 2505.  

What is the difference between Secondary Suites and Garden Suites?

A secondary suite is a smaller accessory dwelling unit within a single family dwelling.  A garden suite is a smaller accessory dwelling unit within a detached accessory building on the same lot as the single family dwelling.

Properties zoned RR, RS or R-1 with a single family house may be eligible to have either a secondary suite or a garden suite, but not both.


New Secondary Suites (in new or existing houses) and all Garden Suites must comply with the BC Building Code and receive an Occupancy Permit in order to be considered legal with a valid suite licence. Secondary Suites that existed before the adoption of the Zoning Bylaw No. 2505 (October 4, 2011) may comply with the Minimum Building Requirements as set out in Section 17 of the Building Bylaw No. 2131 and receive a “Certificate of Inspection” in order to be considered legal with a valid suite licence.

Please be sure to carefully view the attachments and links on this page to obtain information on the new regulations and how they may affect your property should you wish to create a legal suite or are currently maintaining an illegal secondary suite.

Application Process



*Please note that applications and inspections will be processed on a first come, first serve basis.

The application process can take from 2 weeks to 6 months, depending on the type and complexity of the application.

Service Fees

All unauthorized suites will be charged unauthorized suite service fee in the Secondary Suite Service Fee Bylaw.  Legal suites that have a valid suite licence before the property tax due date will be charged a lower service fee.

Suites that are not in use or do not meet the minimum building requirements must decommission the suite before the property tax due date in order to avoid additional service fees on one's tax notice.

Information Brochures

Secondary Suites Brochure

Garden Suites Brochure

Background Information

Council Report October 5, 2011

Report to Council in Committee Meeting April 26, 2011

Financial Information

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) offers grants through their Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program (RRAP) for qualifying homeowners.

Landlord Information

To learn more about business and legal aspects of being a landlord, click HERE.