Dog Control

Important Information Regarding The City of Pitt Meadows Dog Control Bylaw

Download and print the Responsible Dog Owner brochure.

The City of Pitt Meadows will respond to noise complaints about barking dogs, sale and renewal of dog licenses and investigate and attend to complaints from the public regarding animal control. Call 604-465-2428.

Stray Dog Complaints

Contact the Bylaw Enforcement Officer at 604-465-2428.  You will be asked if you know where the dog lives or if you recognize the dog.  If it has a dog tag, what is the number?  Does it have a tattoo, what is that number?   If the complainant is comfortable with keeping the dog then the dog will stay with the complainant until the dog owner is located or the owner calls City Hall looking for the dog.

If the complainant is not comfortable keeping the dog they can transport it to Countryside Kennels, 558 Prairie Avenue, Port Coquitlam or call 604-945-0125 for pick up.

Directions to Countryside Kennels:
Left onto Lougheed Highway for 3-4 miles, turn right onto Coast Meridian Road for .8 mile, turn right onto Prairie Avenue for 1.2 miles.

Lost Dogs

Contact the Bylaw Enforcement Officer at  604-465-2428 or Countryside Kennels to inquire if the dog was impounded.

Dangerous Dog Attack

Contact the RCMP non-emergency number at 604-463-6251.

Dog Licensing

All dog owners are required to license any dog over six months old.   License Renewal forms will be mailed out the first week of December or a dog license application form may be downloaded and printed.  Below is the new fee schedule:

  • There is no license fee in respect of a certified guide dog or certified assistance dog
  • Dog Licensing Fees for all aggressive dogs - $150.00
  • Dog Licensing Fees for all dangerous dogs - $300.00

For more information, please visit the Dog Control Bylaw for definitions.

  Prior to February 1 On or After February 1
Dog owners 65 years and older  $10.00 $10.00
Spayed or Neutered $20.00 $35.00
Not spayed/Not Neutered $50.00 $65.00
Replacement Fee
(to replace lost tag)
$5.00 $5.00

If further information is required, please contact the City Hall at 604-465-5454.

Hurt or Distressed Animals

Contact Maple Ridge SPCA 604-463-9511.
BC Conservation Office 1-877-952-7277

It is important that while dogs are on private property that dog owners take responsible care and control of their dog by having the dog on a leash and picking up after your dog.

Dog Owners are Required to Leash Their Dogs

In the City of Pitt Meadows residents are required to leash their dogs in public spaces and dykes.  The City's Dog Control Bylaw prohibits dogs from being off-leash in any public spaces other than designated off-leash parks