The Municipality takes its name from the Pitt River and Pitt Lake, which were possibly named after former British Prime Minister William Pitt.
The first inhabitants of Pitt Meadows were aboriginal people, and they resided in this area approximately 1000 years ago. James McMillan then explored the area in 1874 and Europeans followed by starting a settlement in the area in the 1870's. This settlement was originally known as Bonson's Landing.
The Municipality of Maple Ridge was first incorporated in 1874 and included Pitt Meadows to the west. However, residents of the Pitt Meadows area petitioned for their removal from the District of Maple Ridge in 1892. Pitt Meadows reverted to unorganized territory but was separately incorporated in 1914. Early settlers were mostly Anglo-Saxon until after 1910 when many French Canadians and Japanese arrived. A large group of Dutch farmers reclaimed much of the low-lying land in Pitt Meadows after World War II.
1885: Canadian Pacific Railway is constructed through Pitt Meadows to Port Moody
1893: The first diking district is organized
1894: In the spring of 1894, the major Fraser River Flood event occurs and floods many acres of land
1948: Pitt Meadows joins the Greater Vancouver Water District
1957: A highway bridge is constructed over the Pitt River
1963: The Pitt Meadows Airport opens
2007: District of Pitt Meadows is incorporated as the City of Pitt Meadows
2009: Golden Ears Bridge connecting Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge to Surrey and Langley opens
Listen to some stories about Pitt Meadows' past told by longtime residents in this video: